Underlay, in simple terms, is a material that is placed beneath carpets before laying down carpets. Carpet underlay material provides comfort underfoot and helps maintain the carpet, and brings more protection against moisture. The lifespan
Underlay, in simple terms, is a material that is placed beneath carpets before laying down carpets. Carpet underlay material provides comfort underfoot and helps maintain the carpet, and brings more protection against moisture. The lifespan of carpets is shorter without an underlay and can easily get wear and tear.
Types of Underlay
- Felt underlay- a most classical form of underlay and gives brilliant cushioning, less noise, and more warmth.
- Fam Underlay- It is made up of PU foam and is most versatile among other types of underlay. It is lightweight, soft and there is a noise reduction.
- Crumb rubber underlay is mainly made from recyclable material that is tightly packed together and protects the carpet from a notch.
- Sponge rubber underlay- reduction in sound, very durable, great for concrete floors.
Purpose of Carpet underlay material
- Prevent growth of microorganisms
- The volume of labor desired is reduced
- Smoothens imperfection of floor
- Adhesion for flooring is improved
ARDEX provides brilliant and assured system solutions in every area of underlayment for vinyl or carpets underlaying flooring, preventing moisture, can be used for indoor, domestic, outdoor, or any commercial products.
Benefits of Carpet Underlay
- It is an excellent shock absorber
- Provides durability
- For a long time, the floor remains fresh
- Provides beauty and grace to your carpet
- Prone to all sorts of damages
- Friendly underlay for allergy and asthma patients
- Increases lifespan of the carpet
Disadvantages of Carpet Underlay
Starts to accumulate dirt and dust with time. Also, needed to be changed or cleaned regularly, and the new underlay should be installed with every change in carpet. An older underlay makes the floor uneven.
Size and Thickness
- Private carpet- they are related to one’s comfort and peace
- Foamed Foam 10 -12 lbs.
- Bonded 6.5-8 lbs.
- High Traffic- used in places like stores and workplaces and needs little thick carpet cushion
- Foamed foam 12lbs
- Bonded 6.5lbs
- Manufactured Fiber 6.5 lbs.
- Business Carpet- denser and slender carpet cushion is used
- Foamed Foam 12 lbs.
- Bonded 6.5 lbs.
- Engineered Fiber 6.5 lbs.
- Circles Carpet- short stack of business carpets, requires manufactured fiber cushions
- Engineered Fiber- 6.5 lbs.
The cost of carpet underlaying material depends on the carpet and underlaying; in general, its cost is around 3-4 $ a square foot. One of the best approaches is fortified carpet cushioning. To know more about carpet underlay material, you can do your research.