Going camping is one of the most exciting outdoor activities that you can do alone, or with your family. However, you know that you cannot always predict the weather. There are times that the weather
Going camping is one of the most exciting outdoor activities that you can do alone, or with your family. However, you know that you cannot always predict the weather. There are times that the weather forecast would give you a positive idea of what the weather would be like on your next camping trip. But unexpected things happen. And one of the things that you should prepare for is rain.
Waterproofing Your Tent
If you do not know how to waterproof a tent, you will end up soaked in the cold rainwater in the middle of a stormy night. So if you want to learn how to waterproof your tent, you have come to the right place. Here are some tips that can help you prepare for that rainy night:
- Work on a Sunny Day. When planning to waterproof your tent, make sure that you are working on it on a sunny day. The weather should be clear because you will need a day or two to finish this ask. Some of the products may take up to 24 hours to completely dry.
- Thoroughly Clean the Tent. Before you start, ensure that the tent is clean. Failure to do so can cause the waterproofing product to stick to the dirt that would easily come off with water.
- Seal All Seams and Holes. After cleaning, you have to thoroughly check the seams and holes if there is anything that needs fixing. If there are any damaged seams you have to use a seam sealer to fix it. Not checking and fixing this beforehand can interfere with your task.
- Wear Protective Gear. Before you start working with the waterproofing products, you have to make sure that you are wearing protective gloves and gear. It will not be easy to get the products off of you and your clothes. So make sure that you are protected.
- Also, you have to make sure that you use the right products for your tent. You have to remember that the products you choose would depend on the materials in your tent. Always read the instructions before you start waterproofing your tent.
- Apply Sealant. Use only the best sealant that is appropriate for your tent. With your preferred sealant product, apply a thin coat. If you know that you will be using the tent in areas where it usually rains, then apply a second coat of product. Wipe any excess product using a clean cloth.
- Let it Dry. Once you have applied the sealant, take it outside and spread it out in your backyard or somewhere spacious. Allow the tent to dry for 24 hours or longer. The length of drying will depend on the weather in your area.
Taking care of your tent is important. They are not cheap to buy that is why you have to make sure that you know how to waterproof it before you take it camping. So review the tips mentioned above before you try to waterproof your tent at home.